After much deliberation and consultation, I have decided to stick with the name 'Ribbon Workbench' rather than rename to CommandBar Workbench. Here are some of the reasons behind this decision:
- The Command Bar in CRM 2013 is still defined with RibbonXml, but rendered differently. A DisplayRule is used to exclude buttons from the CommandBar.
- The Ribbon is still present on non-refresh entities and in Outlook so it's important to still have support for Ribbon editing.
- Since the Ribbon Xml remains unchanged, it's important to understand and differentiate between Tabs/Groups and Layouts.
- The Ribbon Workbench is already an established 'brand' than people know about.
- So until we have CommandBar XML in a future version of Dynamics CRM – it'll always be the Ribbon 'XML' Workbench with a *silent* 'XML'!
The new version has the following improvements:
- Dynamic switching between the Command Bar and Ribbon view
- UI refreshed to match Dynamics CRM 2013
- Performance Optimisations
- Support for new Dynamics CRM 2013 schema
For those of you with access to the Dynamics CRM 2013 beta - the Ribbon Workbench for Dynamics CRM 2013 beta is available for download here: